Does Your Estate Plan Reflect Your Current Needs?
Do you need to develop a clear, concise estate plan to preserve your assets and protect your loved ones? Do you need to update your existing estate plan to reflect your current assets, change beneficiaries or trustees, or respond to changes in the current law?
No matter your circumstances, the Law Offices of Linda J. MacKay can help you draft an estate plan that suits your unique needs. Based in San Jose, our firm has assisted individuals and families with their estate planning needs since 1997.
Every Adult Needs An Estate Plan — Including You
Many people have the misconception that estate plans are for the very wealthy. If you are over the age of 18, you should have a legally sound estate plan to ensure that your relatives and the state handle your assets as you see fit.
Estate plans are crucial to passing your money and property to the people you love. A good estate plan will also protect your hard-won assets from estate taxes and prevent your loved ones from grappling with probate.
What Should My Estate Plan Include?
Although your estate is unique, most estate plans are composed of a few standard documents. Depending on your needs and the assets you own, your estate plan may include documents such as:
- A will, which specifies how your assets are to be distributed upon your death
- A revocable living trust, which protects your assets from the probate process
- A power of attorney, which designates a person to oversee your health and/or financial affairs if you should become unable to make decisions on your own behalf
- An advanced health care directive, which outlines the health measures you would and would not want taken on your behalf should you become incapacitated
- A living will, which specifies the type of end-of-life care you want if you are unable to express your desires to your medical team or family .
The Law Offices of Linda J. MacKay can sit down with you to discuss which documents you need in your plan. Once we draft the documents or update your existing plan, you can relax knowing that your assets are safe for future generations. We can also quickly adjust your estate plan in an emergency such as unexpected health issues.
Get An Estate Plan That Suits Your Needs
Whether you need to adjust existing documents or create a new estate plan entirely, the Law Offices of Linda J. MacKay is ready to help you. Schedule a consultation with our firm to get the estate plan that you need. Call 408-379-9600 or send us an email.